The package management that is built into emacs has gotten a lot better over the past few years (While I've been away) and the Melpa repository of packages is outstanding. Tonight I decided to take the next step and use some packages that help organize and keep my packages up to date: Cask and Pallet. You can see a commit of my changes on github.
Originally I had found this page describing how to install Tmux in cygwin and I was able to accomplish this goal with relative ease. Once I realized that the instructions were dead simple, and that ncurses and libevent appears to already be included in cygwin I wanted to give it another go where I only installed tmux itself from source.
After much though I'm going to try out Cygwin again. Tomorrow my system at work gets upgraded which means I have a brand new system to setup. I will try cygwin first prior to msys and see how far I get.
After only a couple of days I did start finding git submodules annoying (again... who knew?). In order to get them out of my configs I've moved over from pathogen to Vundle. Pathogen lets all of your plugins behave like Mac Apps and line in their own little folders, instead of coexisting with other vim files in a single vim runtime folder (normally ~/.vim). Vundle takes this same approach but manages the git cloneing and updating of these plugins. So instead of autoloading whatever is in a folder, you define what plugins you want and are then able to install/update them from inside git.
While writing my imports plugin I learned about vim's autoloading feature. This started as me being confused (while looking at other plugins) about why some things were in the autoload folder and some were in the plugins folder. To me both folders appeared to be autoloaded at startup... but this isn't the case!
This project is NOT ready for full publication yet... it's also not totally tested by me yet, but I want to write about how it works and how I learned enough vimscript to make it work.
This project is availabe (in it's alpha state) at https://github.com/Kelsin/vim-imports
It uses another project that I'm working on that generates a .classtags file full of all classes that your java project has access to: https://github.com/Kelsin/classtags-maven-plugin
I'm working on some vim plugins that will help with java coding and in the process of doing so I realized that most of my issues would be solved if I had a text file that lists all of the classes available in my project's class path. I want to include:
- All of my projects classes
- All classes included as maven dependencies
- All classes included by the JRE
A couple of days ago I used the github guide to setup a global git ignore file. Today I realized that it wasn't working at work. The command version of git config used an absolute path to the file when using a ~ relative file works perfectly fine.
This first post will be about everything I had to install to get Vim working in windows. If you try this out and run into any issues please let me know so I can fix things. I never know what I've installed years ago that ends up helping something out. It should also go without saying that in linux I use the default package manager for all of this. On a mac I use homebrew. Both are much simpler since a sane terminal is already installed.